My idea of a good vacation is usually one that, at first glance, appears to involve questionable judgement. Fully serviced beach vacation? Kill me now. A city break? Boring (unless it involves good food). Here are examples of good past vacations:
- "Let's walk to Zambia this afternoon."
- "I'm three months pregnant, so let's go to the jungles of Belize."
- "14 hours on a train in rural China? Sure!"
- "Is that a mouse? Uhh no, just a really hairy, really big spider."
- "So looking at this map, we're hiking 45 miles in the desert carrying our own water. I'm in!"
- "I don't know how to alpine ski. Night skiing down the intermediate slope? Well. . .OK."
- "Hmmmm. . . I think that area is mostly de-mined." (Please note that Cambodia is a very safe, and please consider making a donation to the HALO Trust)
And here is videographic proof, courtesy of Maj. C (be kind, I'm pregnant and fat here).
But I temper these harebrained ideas with letting loose the strength of my planning Kung Fu. I go into full research mode (which can be ugly given that I spent way too many years in grad school). Planning involves lots and lots of lists. I rehearse in my head what to do in the case of two-tail events. Maj. C, who is equally a "planner" and versed in battlefield medicine, has a complete plan in case of Zombie Apocalypse. For example, this is a real question he asked me last week, "Do we need bags of saline and this machete for the trip?" Me, I know the emergency number, the address of the US embassy, and have a list of English speaking doctors. I accept that I will pay the idiot tax and tourist tax. Someone carries a PLB on my long hikes.
Thus, I'm a well-prepared, well-provisioned person with questionable judgement on vacation.
It might surprise you that our next family summer production is one that is surprisingly tame: "Trans-America road trip!" Yes, that old chestnut, with a few caveats.
- We're driving an electric car
- We'll have an infant in tow
- We'll be camping in a tent with sed infant
- Stay tuned for more details
Bad idea? Glad you think so.