I'm a bit of a procrastinator. And I hate packing.
Thus, I've developed a skill so I can put everything I need for a two week business trip into a carry on bag in 10 minutes. Choosing the right fabrics help, and a well placed pretty scarf can make or break a suit (as well as cover up a stain). A skillfully tied scarf can even become a a nice top: I once went to Joël Robuchon in Las Vegas, wearing nothing but a skirt, strappy sandals, and my favorite Hermes scarf. Wrap dresses are another go-to staple-- throw on a jacket, and you are all set. Good quality jersey is compact, hangs correctly, and never wrinkles.
Furthermore, I know how to pack light. When your favorite hobby involves carrying all your food, shelter, and water for miles at a time (often up and down mountain ranges), you learn how to pare down. I used to saw off the handle of my toothbrush. Your packing skills are further honed, as every night you pack and repack your bag
I can't believe that on Friday I'm leaving for a 2 week trip driving across America with Bunny.
While Maj C's Volt will be carrying all of us, space is still at a premium. So far, Maj C in CA has been tasked with packing the cooler, stove, shelter, emergency gear, travel IT etc. He's done great.
I haven't packed our bag yet.
The hard part is what to pack for Bunny. I haven't a clue. I have have piles stuff that I'm yet to organize. Here is why
- As Bunny poops in her pants, accidents happen-- this means many changes of clothes.
- Baby stuff is mostly all natural fibers (except the fleece stuff)-- so when it gets wet, it must come off. Gortex and baby dry-layers are not common materials for baby stuff.
- The range in temperature is challenging: last time I was in Yellowstone in July, I hiked over snow packs. And there are heat waves in the midwest. So I have to plan for everything from freezing to 100F temperatures.
- I have our car mirror and window shade, which are bulky.
- And I'm packing an ergo.
- I love making her look cute, which also means more extraneous stuff.
- Oh and camera equipment to capture her looking cute.
It's not easy. I'm still working on it. . .
So much for packing light!
Next post: The Bunny Bag